Prep time: 2 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 42 mins
Roasted garlic head is simple to prepare, tastes great, even on its own with only a touch of salt, or as a cooking ingredient. Adding roasted garlic to stews or mashed potato offers lots of subtle flavour and no pungency, which the raw garlic is known by.
- 1 garlic head
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Peel most of the outer garlic head wrappers and trim ¼ inch off the top of the garlic head.
- Place the garlic head (or heads) on a piece of aluminium foil big, enough to wrap it around the heads.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil over the exposed tops of the cloves and allow the olive oil to run down to the inner parts of the garlic head.
- Wrap the garlic head in the aluminium foil and place it on the baking tray, in the oven (trimmed top up).
- Bake for 40 minutes.
For deeper colour and flavour extend the roasting time to 50-60 minutes. Store any leftover roasted garlic refrigerated for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6-7 weeks.